Saturday, December 19, 2009

Bring on the Competition!!!

I come from a very athletic and competitive family. Both of my parents are natural athletes and continue to participate in sports; they are in their 50's and are avid wakeboard and water skiers among other things. My older sister is good at EVERY sport she tries {the latest being RUGBY}! She even went as far as Ireland to play in a basketball competition. I actually got out of a speeding ticket once because the state trooper thought that I was HER; when I told him of his error he simply handed me my drivers license and said, "Well, tell your sister hi for me." My brothers are equally athletic. All three of them are State competitors &/or champions in various sports including football, wrestling, track and cross country. My younger sister is in her Freshman year but is already showing signs of great talent in soccer and basketball!

And then there is ME! Believe me, I tried!! I went out for sports but wasn't aggressive enough to really excel. I was more of the music and Drama nerd; President of both the Pep Band AND Drama Club my senior year {yep, nerd to the "nth" degree}. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED that, still do; you could say that I'm STILL that music & drama nerd. But if I'm perfectly honest I did well in Track. But I didn't love the track coach; he used "reverse psychology" and that just doesn't work for me. After high school I kept up my running a LITTLE bit in college but I really REALLY wish I had been running all this time!

I went on a great run this morning. 5 miles. It was chilly but not too cold and I was once again reminded how much I LOVE to run outside. I loved hearing the sound of my feet crunching in the snow. My mind starts to wander, I get in my groove and I feel like I could run forever. I started thinking about this Marathon business I've gotten myself into and I got SO EXCITED! And I realized that deep down I have a competitive side when it comes to running but what I love is that is competition with MYSELF!! I knew that side of me was in there somewhere and I'm excited to let it out some more! See what I'm made of! Bring it on baby!!

0 comments:

Nike Trainer

Related Posts with Thumbnails